Wei's main research interests include Data Mining, Computational Semantics, Machine Learning,
Artificial Intelligence and with applications to astronomy, geosciences,
and environmental sciences.
Wei is the faculty advisor of the Women-In-Science club (WINS) at UMass Boston.
She is the faculty representative of UMass Boston for
the National Center for Women & Information Technology.
- 2016 Spring, In collaboration with Dr. Scott Crouter at the University of Tennessee and Dr. Eamonn Keogh at the University of California Riverside, Dr. Wei Ding's NIH R01 proposal on Novel Approaches for Predicting Free-Living Physical Activities in Youth has been selected for funding (PI, Total Budget ~$2,400,000, UMass Boston Share ~$760,000)
- 2015 Fall, Sabbatical Visit, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, MA (host: Professor John Quackenbush)
- 01/2015, In collaboration with Dr. John Quackenbush at Harvard, Dr. Wei Ding received an $200,000 award from NVidia to work on advanced data mining to discover disease subtypes in cancer.
- 05/2015, Dr. Wei Ding received a $67,500 award from TCL for her data mining research.
- 12/2014, Dr. Wei Ding received a $18,000 award from NCWIT for her activities on women in science.
- 08/2015, KDLab PhD Candidate Yahui Di has received a travel fellowship award to the 2015 Climate Informatics Conference.
- 06/2015, KDLab PhD Candidate Jacky Yu has received the Oracle Doctoral Fellowship.
- 01/2015, KDLab undergraduate student Melissa Cruz has received the Oracle Fellowship award.
- 05/2015, KDLab Yang Mu became a PhD with an award of outstanding achievement in Computer Science of College of Science and Mathematics, UMass Boston.
- 05/2014, Women-In-Science club president Bahar Delibas is the recipient of the Beacon Graduate Student Leadership Award.
- 04/2014, KdLab PhD candidate Joseph Cohen received an Outstanding Paper Award for
Young Scientists from the Committee on Space Research (COSPAR) of
the International Council for Science for a paper entitled
“Crater detection via genetic search methods to reduce image features.”
- More events >>
- Program Committee Member: ICML (2015), NIPS (2015), AAAI (2014-Present), IEEE ICDM (2011-2014), ECML/PKDD (2013, 2011), ACM KDD (2012-Present, 2010),
ACM CIKM (2010-2012), SIAM SDM (2010-Present), PAKDD (2013), ASONAM (2014),
ACM SIGSPATIAL GIS (2009-2012),
International Conference on Tools with Artificial Intelligence (ICTAI)(2011-2012, 2008), KSEM (2011),
BICoB (2011-2012), International Workshop on Spatial and Spatiotemporal Data Mining In Cooperation with IEEE ICDM (SSTDM, 2008-2012),
International Conference on Software Engineering and Data Engineering (2008, 2009),
International Symposium on Data, Privacy, and E-Commerce (2010),
International Conference on Multimedia and Ubiquitous Engineering (2010),
International Conference on Advances in Social Networks Analysis and Mining (2010),
Asia Pacific Signal and Information Processing Association (APSIPA 2010)
- PhD Forum Co-Chair & IEEE ICDM 2015
- Special Session Co-Chair, Bioinformatics & HPC, the 2015 IEEE High Performance Extreme Computing Conference (HPEC’15), Waltham, MA USA
- 2015: Symposium Co-Chair, the International Conference on Computing, Networking and Communications (ICNC), in the symposium: Social Computing and Semantic Data Mining
- General Chair, the Third IEEE/ASE International Conference on Big Data Science and Computing (BigDataScience 2014)
- Workshop Chair & Vice Chair: IEEE ICDM 2013
- Organization Chair:
The 4th Workshop on Data Mining Case Studies and Practice Prize
- Organization Chair: ISPA 2011 Special Session Image Processing and Analysis in Lunar and Planetary Science
- Chair of Special Sessions,
the 25th International Conference on Industrial, Engineering and Other Applications of Applied Intelligent Systems
- Sponsorship Chair: IEEE ICDM (2011-2012)
- Student Travel Grants Committee Chair: IEEE ICDM (2010)
- Publicity Chair: ACM SIGSPATIAL GIS (2010-2011)
- PC Co-Chair: Workshop on Social Networks, Applications, and Systems (2009)
- Session Chair:
ICTAI 2011, special session on data mining of the IEEE International Conference on Cognitive Informatics (2010, 2009),
IEEE International Workshop on Spatial and Spatio-temporal Data Mining in cooperation with IEEE ICDM (2007)
- Editorship: Assoicate Editor of
Knowledge and Information Systems (KAIS)
(2011-Present), Editorial Board Member of the Journal of Big Data
(2013-Present), Editorial Board Member of the Journal of Information Systems Education (JISE)
- Grant Proposal/Fellowship Review: NSF (2015-2009), Qatar National Research Fund (2011), SSTD Student Travel Award Committee (2011), ACM SIGSPATIAL GIS Diversity Fellowship Committee (2011, 2010)