Wei's main research interests include Data Mining, Computational Semantics, Machine Learning,
Artificial Intelligence and with applications to astronomy, geosciences,
and environmental sciences.
Wei is the faculty advisor of the Women-In-Science club (WINS) at UMass Boston.
She is the faculty representative of UMass Boston for
the National Center for Women & Information Technology.
- 2015 Fall, Sabbatical Visit, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, MA (host: Professor John Quackenbush)
- 01/2015, In collaboration with Dr. John Quackenbush at Harvard, Dr. Wei Ding received an $200,000 award from NVidia to work on advanced data mining to discover disease subtypes in cancer.
- 05/2015, Dr. Wei Ding received a $67,500 award from TCL for her data mining research.
- 12/2014, Dr. Wei Ding received a $18,000 award from NCWIT for her activities on women in science.
- 08/2015, KDLab PhD Candidate Yahui Di has received a travel fellowship award to the 2015 Climate Informatics Conference.
- 06/2015, KDLab PhD Candidate Jacky Yu has received the Oracle Doctoral Fellowship.
- 01/2015, KDLab undergraduate student Melissa Cruz has received the Oracle Fellowship award.
- 05/2015, KDLab Yang Mu became a PhD with an award of outstanding achievement in Computer Science of College of Science and Mathematics, UMass Boston.
- 05/2014, Women-In-Science club president Bahar Delibas is the recipient of the Beacon Graduate Student Leadership Award.
- 04/2014, KdLab PhD candidate Joseph Cohen received an Outstanding Paper Award for
Young Scientists from the Committee on Space Research (COSPAR) of
the International Council for Science for a paper entitled
“Crater detection via genetic search methods to reduce image features.”
- More events >>
- Program Committee Member: ICML (2015), NIPS (2015), AAAI (2014-Present), IEEE ICDM (2011-2014), ECML/PKDD (2013, 2011), ACM KDD (2012-Present, 2010),
ACM CIKM (2010-2012), SIAM SDM (2010-Present), PAKDD (2013), ASONAM (2014),
ACM SIGSPATIAL GIS (2009-2012),
International Conference on Tools with Artificial Intelligence (ICTAI)(2011-2012, 2008), KSEM (2011),
BICoB (2011-2012), International Workshop on Spatial and Spatiotemporal Data Mining In Cooperation with IEEE ICDM (SSTDM, 2008-2012),
International Conference on Software Engineering and Data Engineering (2008, 2009),
International Symposium on Data, Privacy, and E-Commerce (2010),
International Conference on Multimedia and Ubiquitous Engineering (2010),
International Conference on Advances in Social Networks Analysis and Mining (2010),
Asia Pacific Signal and Information Processing Association (APSIPA 2010)
- PhD Forum Co-Chair & IEEE ICDM 2015
- Special Session Co-Chair, Bioinformatics & HPC, the 2015 IEEE High Performance Extreme Computing Conference (HPEC’15), Waltham, MA USA
- 2015: Symposium Co-Chair, the International Conference on Computing, Networking and Communications (ICNC), in the symposium: Social Computing and Semantic Data Mining
- General Chair, the Third IEEE/ASE International Conference on Big Data Science and Computing (BigDataScience 2014)
- Workshop Chair & Vice Chair: IEEE ICDM 2013
- Organization Chair:
The 4th Workshop on Data Mining Case Studies and Practice Prize
- Organization Chair: ISPA 2011 Special Session Image Processing and Analysis in Lunar and Planetary Science
- Chair of Special Sessions,
the 25th International Conference on Industrial, Engineering and Other Applications of Applied Intelligent Systems
- Sponsorship Chair: IEEE ICDM (2011-2012)
- Student Travel Grants Committee Chair: IEEE ICDM (2010)
- Publicity Chair: ACM SIGSPATIAL GIS (2010-2011)
- PC Co-Chair: Workshop on Social Networks, Applications, and Systems (2009)
- Session Chair:
ICTAI 2011, special session on data mining of the IEEE International Conference on Cognitive Informatics (2010, 2009),
IEEE International Workshop on Spatial and Spatio-temporal Data Mining in cooperation with IEEE ICDM (2007)
- Editorship: Assoicate Editor of
Knowledge and Information Systems (KAIS)
(2011-Present), Editorial Board Member of the Journal of Big Data
(2013-Present), Editorial Board Member of the Journal of Information Systems Education (JISE)
- Grant Proposal/Fellowship Review: NSF (2015-2009), Qatar National Research Fund (2011), SSTD Student Travel Award Committee (2011), ACM SIGSPATIAL GIS Diversity Fellowship Committee (2011, 2010)