Dan Pletea, PhD
Software Developer, Data Scientist
University of Massachusetts Boston
Department of Computer Science
I completed my PhD studies at Department of Computer Science of University of Massachusetts at Boston . My advisor was Professor Dan Simovici .
Topics in Data Mining that I am interested in are:
- Mining Methods for Graph Data.
- Data Compression methods and application in Data Mining.
- Partially Defined Functions.
- Index Generation Functions.
- Map Reduce.
- 2013: PhD, Data Mining, Computer Science at UMass Boston.
- 2003: BS in Computer Engineering from "Technical University Gh. Asachi", Iasi, Romania
Scolarships and Awards:
- GAANN doctoral fellowships for 2008-2009.
- Reseach Excellence Awards at The Doctoral Research Symposium, UMASS Boston, 2009, 2010 and 2012.
- Best Paper Award: "Evaluating Data Minability Through Compression - An Experimental Study", Data Analytics 2012, Barcelona, Spain, September 2012.
- D. Simovici, D. Pletea and S. Baraty, "Evaluating Data Minability Through Compression - An Experimental Study", Data Analytics 2012, Barcelona, Spain, September 2012.
- D. Simovici, M.Zimand, D. Pletea, "Several Remarks on Index Generation Functions", International Symposium on Multiple-Valued Logic, Victoria, BC, Canada, May 14-16, 2012.
- D. Simovici, D. Pletea, R. Vetro, "Information-Theoretical Mining of Determining Sets for Partially Defined Functions", 40th International Symposium on Multiple-Valued Logic, Barcelona, Spain, May 26-28 2010.
- D. Simovici, D. Pletea, R. Vetro, "Mining Determining Sets for Partially Defined Functions", Advances in Data Mining - 9th Industrial Conference on Data Mining, ICDM 2009, Leipzig, Germany. LNAI 5633 pp.353-360.(Springer)
- D. Pletea, A. Bucos, O. Pastravanu, "Refined stability analysis of load balancing for a class of queuing networks", CSCS-14 14th International Conference on Control Systems and Computer Science, Bucharest, Romania, July 2003
- D. Simovici, D. Pletea, R. Vetro, "Learning Determining Sets of Finite Partially Defined Functions", Journal of Multiple-Valued Logic and Soft Computing, 2010.
- D. Simovici, D. Pletea, R. Vetro, "Mining Determining Sets for Partially Defined Functions using Entropy", Automatic Control and Computer Science Section, Buletinul Institutului Politehnic din Iasi, Sectia Automatizari si Calcultoare, Tome LV(LiX), Fasc. 3, 2009.
- Teaching Assistant for CS341 "Computer Architecture and Organization".
- Instructor for CS110 "Introduction to Computing".
- Insrtuctor for CS114 and CS115 "Introduction to Computing with Java I & II"
- Instructor for CS105 "Introduction to Computer Concepts".
dpletea "at" cs.umb.edu