Computing Tools for Mathematics
This course introduces some computing tools important for studying
and doing mathematics.
- Use software to learn mathematics
- Use software to do mathematics
- No assigned text
- Learn to answer technical questions by experiment and online search
- Model and document problem solving process as well as conclusions
- Use software best practices: version control, integrated testing
- Practice literate programming for mathematics
Structure: Lectures, lots of programming assignments, some exams,
This course will probably meet the programming requirement for the
mathematics major - it can serve instead of CS110.
- Programming mathematics in Python
- Using applications that do mathematics, chosen from among
Mathematica, Matlab, Maple, Geogebra, Excel and others
- Writing mathematics using LaTeX
Course web page
You are looking at the course web page, which can always be found at
Bookmark it in your browser, since you will be visiting often.
The current version is always available at www.cs.umb.edu/~eb/480/syllabus.html.
Since the I'm inventing the course on the fly, it's not likely to be
up to date. I may use it more to describe what has happened than what
Calculus I (Math 140)
Where and when?
Class meets Tuesday and Thursday from
11:00AM - 12:15PM in W-01-048.
e-mail: eb at cs dot umb dot edu
Office hours TTh 10-11 and 1-2 and by appointment.
The best way to reach me is by email. I read it regularly pretty much
all day every day. But please do not send attachments, and try not to
send email meant to be read as a web page (there may be a way to tell
your email software to send plain text, not html).
Hardware and Software