Fixing Problems with Unix or Windows Accounts
The Apply Process
- If you are taking a course that requires you to use one of the Linux machines on the CS LAN ...
- you need to complete the Apply Process
- You will find instructions for doing this here
- After you complete this process, two account will be created
- A Unix account
- A Windows account
Problems with Accounts
- From time to time, you may experience a problem with either of your accounts
- Your Unix account
- Your Windows account
- Problems you might encounter could include
- You forgot your password
- You can't log on with your account
- There is something wrong with your Unix course directory
Fixing Problems with an Account
- The CS Operators are the only people ...
- who can fix a problem with either of your CS accounts
- If you need a password to be reset ...
- you must go to the Operators' office ...
- and present your student ID
- This is for your protection
- The Operators' office is located in the Unix Lab
- To get to the Unix Lab
- Turn left after getting off the elevator on the 3rd floor of the Science building
- Walk toward the Computer Science office, which sits behind a large glass window
- When you are in front of the window you will be in a hallway
- Turn left and walk down the hallway
- The Unix Lab is a few doors down on your right and has many computers
- The Operators' office sits behind a window ...
- at the far end of the Unix Lab
- Your password will be reset to the default value "abcd_1234"
- You will be asked to change this the next time you log in
- If your problem does not involve reseting the password ...
- send an email to email@example.com